“It’s not about Winnetou. It’s about you and us.”
“Winnetou”, the still popular American Indian character created by German author Karl May in the 19th century is a symbol of Native stereotypes, of lingering racism & colonialism: the self-bestowed privilege of taking and using whatever you want, even living peoples, for self-gratification. Intentional or not, these attitudes and behaviors continue the cycle of genocide, and can be harmful to everyone, no matter their ethnicity.
Most films on similar topics concentrate only on Native experiences in North America, but through discussions with Natives living in or having visited Germany, the correction of Eurocentricized history & insight on German society, we’ll present why these stereotypes and practices must end: in Germany and worldwide. While some may minimize the effect or harm of stereotypes, they are evidence of much deeper societal issues of injustice, inequality and inequity many countries now face.
Germany is a microcosm of struggles taking place across the world both against and for decolonization, for correcting white privilege and supremacy that’s divided and helped destroy our world. Stereotypes were created to keep themselves in power…and others under their control.”
Our completed feature length documentary utilizes live-action scenes, interviews and animated sequences illustrating the theme, and provide an unforgettable, educational experience. Natives speaking for themselves, representing themselves, and showing the world their progressive variety, complexity and indomitable spirit.
Updated 13 June 2018
- Website https://forgetwinnetou.com/
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/forgetwinnetoufilm/
- Twitter https://twitter.com/forgetwinnetou/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/theredhairedcrow/
- IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6494700/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Recent promotional interviews:
- March 23, 2017 Ich bin nur dem Nein begegnet in print & online at Der Freitag. In Deutsch. (Interview)
- March 14, 2017 Projekt Forget Winnetou! Gegen Klischees die Ureinwohner at Deutschlandradio Kultur. In Deutsch. (Article & Radio Show) podcast available.
- March 3, 2017 Red Haircrow in print & online at Süddeutsche Zeitung. In Deutsch. (Interview)